Search This Blog

Thursday 29 May 2014

My Next Big Thing!

When I was a little girl my Granny had a nursery chair, it was just little-girl sized and I can remember it being covered in a flowery (I think it was blue and cream) fabric. it was my absolutely favourite chair at Granny's and I got quite upset if one of my big brothers wanted to sit on it. 
A few years ago, when Granny moved and unfortunately had to get rid of most of her furniture, I asked if I could have the chair and the answer was yes! 

At some point in its history the chair has been reupholstered with a not so pretty pale green velour fabric, not my cup of tea at all. So it has been sat in the spare room while I work out what to do with it. I made a flower throw a couple of years ago and chucked it over the chair, the cat was happy about that as he seems to have adopted it as one of his favourite napping places.

It has been in the back of my mind for a while now, what am I going to do with it?

It is a lovely shape, small but perfectly formed:

I had thought about reupholstering it with fabric, or maybe making a loose cover for it in patchwork if I could manage it. One thing I am sure of is that the frill around the bottom just has to go!


You can see here, that leg coquettishly sticking out from under the frill, what lovely legs! Seems a shame to cover them up. I love the shape of the back too, gorgeous curves :)

You know where this is going don't you? Yes, I am going to yarn-bomb it! But so many ideas, which to pick and where to start?

I grabbed my bag of scraps and started playing around with them:
Left over granny squares, African flowers (that never ended up being a cushion) and dinky squares (meant for the same purpose).

I don't want it to be too garish, it may well end up in the corner of the dining room and I want it to be eye catching because it is pretty and brightens up the room, not dazzle people with a mess of colour - there are plenty of other crocheted bits lying around that do that!


Hmmmm. Modified one colour Granny squares, patchwork effect maybe? 


It will have to be a loose cover somehow so I can take it off and wash it, the cat really does love this chair. It had been downstairs all of 5 minutes and look!


There are a few problems with making it a loose cover; making it fit well enough that it isn't all baggy and holds it's shape around the curvy back and how to attach it? I have a few ideas but it will depend on the fabric that I crochet up. Something in Double crochet would be ideal really as it isn't very stretchy, or maybe even Tunisian but I sort of have my heart set on old fashioned trebles, Granny style :)

XXX

3 comments:

  1. that is going to take forever and it will also look fantastic.... wish i had the patience for that :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hopefully it won't take too long, it depends how often I get sidetracked! :)

      Delete
  2. Oh I can't wait to see your creation for it...what a lovely chair. I love things passed down from family like this

    ReplyDelete